Prior to the internet age, classes were typically done by a teacher in classrooms. With the advent of the internet, it brought with it numerous options for learning and for communicating to an even bigger audience. The virtual classroom and language learning websites are just a few of these.
The difference between the internet and the traditional teaching as well as writing with computer mediated communication is the lack of immediate feedback which is critical to any successful conversation. But with the innovation of screen sharing software, it creates a more effective conversation process.
What are the advantages of using the internet for learning English or any other language?
• With internet use, students are able to gain input regarding the process of language learning.
• This form of communication is a venue for self expression with more chances for written interactions too.
• The internet changes a teacher and a student’s interaction as computers allow for more talking time. It also changes the roles of teachers and students since it can make a more student centered learning where the teachers are facilitators while students construct their ideas or knowledge.
• It is the greatest information source which is not in the book form. It can be used to promote higher thinking skills.
• There are numerous supplemental resources like pronunciation exercises or reading texts. Games are also fun activities for learning.
• The internet is a venue for creative works like poetry, essays or stories.
• With the use of the internet for learning English, students are also able to develop technology skills like web browsing, email, word processing and more which is helpful in the competitive market.
Not only is the internet helpful for students learning English, it is also helpful for teachers wanting to teach the language without the need to be physically present in traditional classrooms. Sites in the internet like ProTEFL help these teachers start their careers just as much as students learning English can start theirs too. The internet is becoming a part of everyone’s lives and learning to use it wisely benefits any user.